The pharisees were believers and a religious set/party in the bible (Acts 15:5). They were teachers of the law of moses (Matt 23:2) and where very active while Christ was here on earth. They fasted often (Matt 9:14) and also believed in angels and spirits (Acts 23:8). They however were known for criticising Jesus, they plotted to kill him (Matt 12:14) and also refused to be baptised by John the Baptist (Luke 7:30). Jesus reffered to them as blind guides (Matt 23:16).
I got the inspiration to write on this topic some months ago while I was studying the book of Matthew, I then began to realise that there are modern day pharisees in the world today who may not necessarily know they are one.
I encourage you sisters to study the points below on signs of being a modern day pharisee 👇
12 SIGNS OF A MODERN DAY PHARISEE
- You do not want to be associated with sinner, you consider yourself too holy to talk to them. Jesus while on earth was found among tax collectors (Matt 9:11). In matt 9:13 he said he didn’t come for the healthy (righteous) but for the sick.
Note: Learn to set boundaries through the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- You are always looking to find fault or criticise especially from your spiritual leaders. (Luke 6:7)
- You ask question with the wrong motive (not because you want to learn) but because you want to test. (Matt 19:3)
- The truth or correction offends you (Matt 15:12)
- You love and value money so much that you can even compromise your faith (Luke 16:14-15)
- You are difficult to convince, you want a sign (Matt 16:1). You believe so much that you are right afterall you have done your research and you are well educated.
- You teach but don’t practice it (You are not a good example) Matt 23:3
- When your service is being done as a show-off. You hold recognition in high esteem, you exhibit pride, you cherish being greeted with respect so much that you get offended if you don’t get it. (Matt 23:5-7)
- You evangelise but don’t teach the complete truth(false teaching) you over-burden new converts with man-made beliefs.(Matt 23:15
- You pick scriptures that suit you and neglect others important principles of the bible. Matt 23:23
- You are so concerned about your outward appearance( you spend so much on skin care products and nice clothings/accessories but you neglect the most important thing (the state of your heart).
Note: Looking good is very good but please make sure your heart is equally beautiful. Seek first the kingdom. Matt 23:25
- You are hypocritical by showing a form of godliness, you look like a child of God but inwardly you harbour wickedness. Matt 23:28
Sisters 😊❤ I write this not as a perfect Christian, as a matter of fact! I learn from every post I put out because I do not want to be a cast away after I have preached. I try as much as possible to go back to my post (read them again) and make amends if necessary.
I beseech you sisters to examine yourselves and ask for God’s mercy if you notice any of these traits. It is dangerous to neglect it because Jesus reffered to the Pharisees as not being candidate of the kingdom of God. All that we do is to give glory to God and to ultimately inherit the kingdom of God.
WHAT TO DO
- Pray! Run to God, ask for his mercy. Ask the Lord to search your heart (tell him to expose wrong motives, wickedness) tell him to give you a heart that is right towards him.
- Humble yourself, all that you are is by the grace of God. Matt 23:12
I close with this verse, always remember it.
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
Note: Another version says he made himself of no reputation: The moment you begin to place yourself high and expect people to see you that way you will experience disappointment, follow Jesus steps.
And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.